William G. Pomeroy Foundation

The William G. Pomeroy Foundation is an organization aimed at providing grant funding to non-profit organizations throughout New York State to assist with the installation of historic roadside markers. These markers are designed in the traditional blue and gold style that most are accustomed to seeing. For the last several years, areas of Western New York were unable to apply for these markers due to limited funding. As of recent, the foundation is now able to reopen applications for Regions 10-12, which includes Orleans County. Orleans County has a number of these markers already, including a number dedicated to Native American locations, and many places and names of people who were of importance to State and Local history.

The foundation covers markers for places of significance up to the year 1900. It has been a long desired goal to obtain such a marker to place on the grounds of St. Mary's Assumption Church. Aside from the importance of the parish to the development of Orleans County, the parish was the first rural Polish mission church in the Diocese of Buffalo; established as the fifth Polish parish in the diocese and the first outside the City of Buffalo. The development of a parish on the outmost boundary of the Diocese of Buffalo represents a distinct singificance of the community that housed it. The relative quick growth and prosperity reflects much about the will and determination of the families who settled here.

Applications for the grant are due by March 14, 2014, and could include up to 5 lines with 27 characters each to describe the event or location's significance.

The marker could read:

POLISH CHURCH
ST. MARY'S ASSUMPTION
EST. ON AUG. 16, 1891
AS THE FIRST RURAL POLISH
MISSION CHURCH IN THE
DIOCESE OF BUFFALO

POLISH CHURCH
ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED
VIRGIN MARY PARISH
EST. ON AUG. 16, 1891
ON LAND PURCHASED FROM
THE C. H. MOORE ESTATE

POLISH CHURCH
ST. MARY'S ASSUMPTION
EST. ON AUG. 16, 1891
ON LAND SELECTED BY
SZCZEPAN DANIELEWSKI AND
JOZEF CICHOCKI